Isfield Village Hall is located in the characterful old schoolhouse that used to house Isfield School which was built in the first decade of the 20th century. We are always interested in learning more of the history and if you have any information on the history of Isfield School or Isfield Village Hall, or memories of either, please do let us know by emailing us at email@example.com
For a fuller account of the history of Isfield please see the Isfield Parish Council website
Isfield is a parish and a village on the River Ouse in the East Grinstead division of Sussex, in the hundred of Loxfield Dorset, rape of Pevensey, rural deanery of Uckfield, archdeaconry of Lewes and diocese of Chichester. It is 44 miles south of London.
The population of Isfield in 1891 was 423; in 1901 was 431; in 1911 was 470; in 1921 was 478; and in 1931 was 474.
The 1882 the Census lists Isfield National School with its school-mistress as Mrs Emily Brooker with 90 children registered and average attendance as 60.
In 1970 Isfield School was closed due to falling numbers and 16 pupils were transferred to what was then Little Horsted School, bringing its number of pupils up to 67 as at September 1970.
Isfield Village Hall used to be located in a World War I building close to the Laughing Fish PH. The land is now occupied by the house named 'Tall Trees' and one other. When the old Village Hall was demolished the proceeds from the sale went towards acquiring the closed Isfield School property for the village to use as a Village Hall.
The creation of Isfield Village Hall Charity was sealed by the Charity Commission on 5th November 1979 with the objective of providing and maintaining 'a village hall for the use of the inhabitants of Isfield without distinction of political, religious or other opinions, including use for meetings, lectures and classes, and for other forms of recreation and leisure-time occupation, with the object of improving the conditions of life for the said inhabitants.'
The Village Hall Charity is administered by Managing Trustees comprised of elected members and representative members.